Thursday 25 July 2013

Late-night hummus

I was feeling restless last night, I couldn't seem to concentrate on my book or even some mindless t.v so I started to potter around the kitchen. Finding some chickpeas I decided to have my first attempt at making my own hummus. Something I'm surprised I haven't already as I'm a little obsessed with this dip! It is a really simple recipe with only six ingredients and takes about ten minutes! As this was a spontaneous make I had to make do without tahini, a sesame seed paste. I'm sure it can only enhance your hummus but isn't essential.



To make, you will need:
200g Canned chickpeas
2tbsp Lemon juice (although I ended up with about half a lemon in!)
2/3 Garlic cloves
1tsp Gound cumin
Salt

To serve:
Olive oil
Paprika
Dipping snacks! 


Drain your chickpeas and empty into a food processor...


Simply add your lemon, chopped up garlic, cumin and salt.






Add more of any of the flavourings to adjust to your taste and after blending to a smooth consistency empty into a small serving dish and smooth down with the back of a spoon.


To serve, top with a little olive oil and a sprinkling of paprika (or a flavouring of your choice).


And dip away!

You can enjoy hummus with anything to hand although my favourites are warmed pitta bread or vegetable crudités. Mmm.


Although this wasn't a bad first attempt, it certainly wasn't up to scratch. There is an avid hummus debate (one of the big world issues at the moment I know) over how to achieve the perfect texture etc. It has even made a Guardian article! With mine you could still taste the crunch of the chickpea skins but I'm not sure I have the patience to sit and peel them all so I'll probably stick to abusing every offer supermarkets seem to always have on hummus in order to get my fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...